Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Old Speakers Worth the work?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member HighSchoolTheatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2010
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Old Speakers Worth the work?

    Hello,

    I work at a High school that has two very old speakers. They are Cso-6g High Fidelity Sound Column speakers by University Sound. which is a company of ltv ling altec, inc.

    Noone at the school knows if they work. In the light booth, there is a square shaped plug with male prongs that look like a regular electrical plug with a label marked "Aud. speakers" and an on/off toggle switch.

    Is it worth investigating to see if I can swap out the old plug for an XLR and try to get an Amp and board?

    Thanks,
    Christian

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Old Speakers Worth the work?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Old Speakers Worth the work?

    They aren't worth a lot. Columns, at least University and EV, are pretty much voice paging stuff.

    If you wanna do it for fun, probably worth it. otherwise....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member HighSchoolTheatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2010
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Old Speakers Worth the work?

    ok, So they would not be good for voice amplification for a school play?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Old Speakers Worth the work?

    Quote Originally Posted by HighSchoolTheatre View Post
    ok, So they would not be good for voice amplification for a school play?
    If they are voice columns, then perhaps they would be.
    I don't know that we have any reference to the exact model (maybe OG does know), but the responses you (will) see here are more likely just referring generically to 'vocal columns' (loosely, of any sort) quality as compared to the heartier full-range SR (sound reinforcement) and Hi-Fi units, typically discussed herein.

    If you'd like to post pics of them (here, or hosted on your own if unable to post), it may assist. Try to get the model (near / on jack plate typically - in case you have transcribed it incorrectly, we can observe it thus), an overall shot, and drivers themselves (e.g. if the grilles come off). This would help e.g. identify whether the drivers' surrounds have dry-rotted, and give as much info as a visual account can to us, without further dis-assy.


    Your other statement:

    Quote Originally Posted by HighSchoolTheatre View Post
    ...In the light booth, there is a square shaped plug with male prongs that look like a regular electrical plug with a label marked "Aud. speakers" and an on/off toggle switch.
    Is it worth investigating to see if I can swap out the old plug for an XLR and try to get an Amp and board?
    Pretty much only can elicit conjecture on 'our' part.
    i.e. We don't know what that connection goes to, nor what the toggle switch does.
    You would have to ascertain that yourself. (Perhaps begin an investigation herein with assistance).

    It could for all we know, turn the auditorium into the Thunderdome and release hundreds gallons of ice-cream onto the stage.
    i.e. Who knows? :-)


    So, I'd suggest to either begin by tracing your connections/switch connection to see what's on the other end(s) of them...

    Or if you can access the jack plates of the vocal columns themselves, you can test them for operation, starting with a low-power amplifier of some sort...

    HTH

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Old Speakers Worth the work?

    CSO-6 is a 5 foot weatherproof PA column....................... about all i could find quickly, from Roger Russell's site.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Bluelick's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Old Speakers Worth the work?

    Hi,
    I'm coming late to the game here, I just found this posting and joined the board so I could respond. I have two of these columns and they put out a lot of sound in a nicely focused way, as you would expect of columns. However, mine have some problems and I need to replace at least two of the drivers. They have two pairs of three different speakers in each column. I'd like some help determining the correct replacements, so I'll get the driver numbers and start a new thread with those.

    I got these from my dad, who worked in radio and TV since the 1930's, owned a recording studio and did professional sound work all his life. He used to use them for outdoor PA gigs (I carried them a lot, and they aren't light). If your speakers still work they would probably serve your needs well. Dad often complains about well functioning older PA systems he designed and installed being ripped out to install new systems that aren't any better, but which cost thousands of dollars!

    Meanwhile, I have a picture of the label but this site apparently won't let me post that link until I have made 3 or more valid posts, so that will have to wait.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Bluelick's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Old Speakers Worth the work?

    OK, here is the picture of the label on mine, which are CSO-6 not the CSO-6g mentioned by the original poster above.

    1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.